stop anxiety attacks

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Sleep and Anxiety

 How hard is it for you to fall asleep or stay asleep? According to the ADAA (www.adaa.org) over 40 million people report long-term sleep disorders and 20 million people report occasional problems falling asleep or staying asleep. So does anxiety play a role in this?
YES! Anxiety can cause sleeping problems or make those problems even worse. I would lie in bed for hours tossing and turning and singing Amazing Grace to myself all the while watching the clock praying for sleep that would never come. I would recommend discussing any long term sleeping problems you have with your doctor first to decide what it best for you...Some people do well with meds for temporary help but are not recommended for long term use due to addiction possibilities.
     Most of you know I am a believer in natural products or natural ways to handle my anxiety and panic attacks. I have what I call medical anxiety and general anxiety. Basically anything that could harm me medically sends my anxiety in overload..
I have an extremely hard time taking any medications (maybe aspirin and benadryl) without panic attacks to follow. When is the last time you have heard of someone going to an emergency room in extreme pain and REFUSE pain medication. THAT WOULD BE ME! I get a pain in my chest or constantly think about a heart attack or some other medical condition...Silly worries YES but for me they are very real and very scary..
     I still recommend the panic away system, please see link above, because it is all natural and it shows you techniques and ways to deal with anxiety without medications. To me it's a very good program and more knowledge is  power against this condition.
     Most experts will tell you to make a bedtime routine to prepare yourself for sleep. Stop all stimulants at least a couple before bed. Caffeine, chocolate, nicotine and make sure your exercise routines are in the morning and afternoons or at least 2 hours before bedtime. Prepare yourself by listening to some relaxing music or even curl up with a good book after taking a nice hot bath and learn to relax before even attempting to get into bed...
Make your bed a relaxing haven for you...Quiet, Dark and Cool are ideal to prompt relaxation and rest...We all love our tv's in the bedroom but they are very distracting when trying to go to sleep.  Work on an ideal sleep environment as it is so crucial for learning to deal with your anxiety. Web Md and Anxiety & Depression Association of America or ADAA (see link above) Have very good ideas for wonderful sleep environments, as well as lots of tips and techniques.
     I would enjoy seeing questions and comments and even suggestions on future information you would like to  see on this page. My goal is to be a source of help and support by giving and sharing information that may help you with the challenges you face along this PATH OF ANXIETY!


Together only WE can support each other,
Sincerely,Melinda Pearson
     










PS: If you learned something from this post, please like, comment and share with your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment